Foods That Are Toxic to Cats

Your cat Daisy really is a multi-surface feline. Daisy loves to prance across your end tables, hop on your window sills, and even make an occasional run up the curtains. Unfortunately, you’ve also seen her perched on your kitchen counters. While you’ve asked your Vista veterinarian to help you stop Daisy’s unhygienic behavior, you’ve still got to keep one step ahead of her in the kitchen.

 

Delectable Chocolate

Cats often scarf up chocolate-containing foods such as brownies, cookies, and chocolate candy. If Daisy eats chocolate, her heart and nervous system get over-stimulated. She might vomit, have increased thirst, show abdominal discomfort, and become restless. Daisy can also experience agitation, irregular heart rhythm, muscle tremors, and high body temperature. These symptoms indicate chocolate intoxication, and cats have been known to die from severe cases. Darker chocolate, such as dark baker’s chocolate, is the most harmful; white chocolate is less dangerous but not advisable. If you think Daisy has gone on a chocolate binge, and she seems more than mildlly restless, get her to your vet quickly.

 

Onions and Garlic

Daisy’s red blood cells can be damaged if she eats sufficient amounts of onion family foods. Examples include onions, shallots, garlic, and scallions. For starters, garlic presents more risk than onions. Daisy’s exposure to concentrated forms of either vegetable, such as garlic powder or onion soup mix, is even more dangerous. If Daisy ingests an onion family food, she won’t show symptoms for three to five days. Then, she’ll seem weak and won’t want to move around much. Daisy’s urine might be orange or dark red, and she may have pale-looking gums. Get Daisy to your vet immediately.

 

Raw Bread Dough

Don’t leave raw bread dough rising on your counters, as Daisy’s likely to try a mouthful. When the live yeast dough hits Daisy’s warm, moist stomach, the yeast explodes in numbers. As the dough expands, Daisy can experience stomach distention and decreased blood flow, potentially affecting her breathing. She can also become a bit tipsy from the alcohol produced from the dough’s metabolized sugar. Severe cases of alcohol intoxication have resulted in seizures and death. Ask your vet to monitor Daisy until she recovers from her bender.

 

If Daisy ingests a toxic food before you can remove it, your Vista vet and his care team are ready to provide her with top-notch medical and even critical care if needed.